What is Telephony Integration?
Telephony integration is the process of connecting a school’s telephone system with its other systems, such as its student information system (SIS), learning management system (LMS), and parent portal. This allows staff to make and receive calls from within their school software system.
Why Telephony Integration for Schools?
Telephony integration can improve efficiency and communication in a number of ways.
- Improved Efficiency: Telephony integration can help to improve efficiency by automating tasks that would otherwise be done manually by staff. For example, if a staff member needs to call a parent to discuss their child’s progress, they can simply click on the parent’s name in the SIS and the call will be automatically dialed. This frees up staff time to focus on other tasks, such as teaching and providing support to students.
- Improved Communication: Telephony integration can help to improve communication by making it easier for staff to stay in touch with students, parents, and other staff members. For example, if a staff member needs to send a message to a parent, they can simply type the message into the telephony system and the message will be sent as a voicemail or email. This helps to ensure that all communication is documented and that everyone is kept up-to-date on important information.
- Increased Flexibility: Telephony integration can give staff the flexibility to work from anywhere. For example, if a staff member needs to work from home, they can still make and receive calls from their computer. This can help to improve work-life balance for staff and can also help to reduce the spread of illness by allowing staff to stay home when they are sick.
Types of Telephony Integration
There are two main types of telephony integration: hosted telephony integration and on-premises telephony integration.
- Hosted Telephony Integration: Hosted telephony integration is a cloud-based solution that is hosted by a third-party provider. The third-party provider manages the telephony system and provides the telephony agents. This is the most common type of telephony integration for schools.
- On-Premises Telephony Integration: On-premises telephony integration is a solution that is installed and managed by the school. The school is responsible for purchasing the telephony system and hiring the telephony agents. This type of telephony integration is less common for schools, but it can offer more flexibility and control.
Choosing a Telephony Integration Solution
When choosing a telephony integration solution for a school, it is important to consider the specific needs of the school. Some of the factors to consider include:
- The size of the school: Larger schools may need a more sophisticated telephony integration solution than smaller schools.
- The type of the school: The type of the school may also affect the type of telephony integration solution that is needed. For example, a school with a large special education program will need a different type of telephony integration solution than a school with a large athletic program.
- The budget: The cost of telephony integration solutions can vary widely. It is important to find a solution that fits the school’s budget.
Telephony integration can be a valuable tool for schools. It can help to improve efficiency and communication in a number of ways. If you are considering implementing telephony integration in your school, it is important to do your research and choose a solution that is right for your needs.
Here are some additional tips for choosing a telephony integration solution for your school:
- Get multiple quotes from different providers.
- Compare the features and services of each provider.
- Make sure the provider has a good reputation.
- Ask about the provider’s experience working with schools.
- Make sure the provider is willing to work with you to customize a solution that meets your specific needs.
I hope this helps!